Monday, October 20, 2014
 
History

Modern Stanton can trace its origins to one of the largest land grants made in California - a concession which covered over 300,000 acres of land. Manuel Perez Nieto, the successful petitioner, found his grant reduced approximately one-half following a protest by the padres of Mission San Gabriel. Upon Manuel Nieto's death in 1804, his son Juan Jose, took title to Rancho Los Coyotes and Rancho Los Alamitos. Following his confirmation of the title to the lands in 1834, then-governor Jose Figueroa proceeded to purchase Rancho Los Alamitos (28,000 acres) from Juan Jose Nieto for $500, or less than 2 cents an acre. He, in turn, sold the Rancho in 1842 to Don Able Stearns for $6,000. Stearns, born in Massachusetts, was one of the first American immigrants to arrive in California in 1829.


In 1906 the Pacific Electric Railway began operations through the area. Within four years the train was so busy that they ran two cars, both ways; on holidays, they ran four cars. The people of Stanton found the Pacific Electric to be a great asset because it gave them a main line into Los Angeles for business purposes and made it easy for agents of the Stearns Rancho Corporation to bring prospective buyers out to see the land.


Prior to 1911, the community was known as "Benedict" but in that year the City of Anaheim proposed the creation of a sewage farm in this section of County land. The ranchers of the region reacted sharply to this proposal. With the aid of Philip Stanton of Seal Beach, the 16 square miles that was intended for the contemplated sewage farm territory was incorporated in May 1911.

Stanton remained an incorporated community until 1924. At an election held on July 22, 1924, the voters decided to disincorporate to allow the State to construct roads in the territory. On August 8, 1924, the City Clerk, Della M. Davis, filed disincorporation papers with the Secretary of State. The City did not reincorporate until 1956.

On May 15, 1956 a successful election was held on incorporation. On June 4, 1956, the City of Stanton was officially incorporated under the general law form of government as specified by the State of California.

Upon recommendation of the Stanton Women's Civic Club in October 1959, the Jacaranda was selected as the City Tree, and the Bird of Paradise was selected as its City Flower. It wasn't until February 1989 that we adopted our City Flag.
 


In recent years Stanton, now three square miles with over 38,305 residents, has experienced rapid growth in the commercial, industrial and residential sectors, creating a balanced community, with a deep sense of pride in its accomplishments. The Stanton Redevelopment Agency has been extremely successful in improving the quality of life in the City through revitalization of its commercial and residential areas. Through public-private partnerships, major new developments have been attracted which promise to sustain the City for years to come.

The City of Stanton, a municipal corporation, operates under the Council-Manager form of government and provides a full range of quality municipal services through its various operating departments and contracted services. As such, every citizen in the City is a stockholder entitled to be heard on City issues.

Welcome   |   How Do I Find?   |   Calendar   |   Departments   |   Council/Commissions   |   About Us   |   Online Reg
Copyright 2013 by City of Stanton, all rights reserved