Streets, Waste and Recycling Services

Welcome to the Stanton Public Works Department "Frequently Asked Questions" online database. Our purpose is to provide residents, contractors, engineers, architects and other stakeholders of our infrastructure with a tool for fast easy access to public works information.  Please call us with your suggestions and comments at 890-4205.

City Maintenance Services

How can I make a service request?
To request Public Work services, please call 890-4205. Please contact the corresponding utility provider for services pertaining to electricity, water, and/or communication lines. Contact information can be found in the Contact section.

Sewer Maintenance

Who is responsible for repairing my property's sewer lateral under the street?
The City is responsible the cleaning and maintaining the sewer mainline only. Maintenance of a sewer lateral attaching itself from the building to the mainline is the responsibility of the property owner. This includes the section of pipe beneath the property extending to beneath the street until it connects to the main line. Stanton Municipal Code.

Why is the sewer lateral the responsibility of the private property owner?
Individual house connection sewer lines are not of general benefit to the public since they can only be used to legally serve a single lot. The fact that the house connection sewer is in a public street does not warrant it being public benefit; therefore, maintenance and repair should not be performed by City at the expense of the taxpayers. Property owners are currently paying a reduced rate on their property tax bills by not having their private laterals maintained by the City.

There are tree roots in my line, apparently from a City parkway tree. Is the City responsible for damages?
No. It is the responsibility of the private property owners maintain and clean their sewer laterals per the Stanton Municipal Code. Stanton Municipal Code. Tree roots enter the sewer lines through cracks and fractures that develop on the surface of the pipes. If the sewer pipe is in a good structural condition, tree roots will not enter the sewer lines.

What are common causes of Sewage Spills?
Grease builds up and eventually blocks sewer pipes. Grease gets into the sewer from household drains, as well as from poorly maintained commercial grease traps and grease interceptors. Grease is the most common cause of pipe blockages. Structural problems caused by tree roots in the lines, broken/cracked pipes, missing or broken cleanout caps, and/or undersized sewers, can cause blockages. Please see the Fats, Oils, and Grease Section for more information about proper disposal of grease.

What should I do if I have a sewer spill because of blockage in my service or private line?
You Are Responsible for a Sewage Spill Caused by a Blockage in Your Sewer Lines! Time is of the essence in dealing with sewage spills. You are required to immediately:

  • Control and minimize the spill. Keep spills contained on private property and out of gutters, storm drains, and public waterways by shutting off or not using the water.
  • Clear the sewer blockage. Always wear gloves and wash your hands. Call a plumber if necessary.
  • Call the City immediately at 379-9222.
  • Call your local Health Care Agency 667-3600 or 628-7008 after hours.

Can I put my medications down the toilet or drain?
No.  Unused prescriptions and over-the-counter medications that are put in drains or flushed down the toilet pollute the environment. Unused medications should be taken to a household hazardous waste collection center or put in a sturdy, securely sealed container, then in a trash can where children and animals can't reach them. To find out more about the hazardous waste collection site near you is available at or call 834-6752.

Streetlight Maintenance

My street light is broken. How do I get a street light fixed?
To report an inoperable street light, please call Southern California Edison at (800) 611-1911 or you may report the outage at the SCE website SCE will require the address of the pole, the type of pole material (steel, concrete, or wood), and the pole number. The pole numbers are approximately seven digits long with the letter "E" at the end and are painted on the pole or engraved on a metal tag, placed at eye-level.

Trees branches are growing close the power lines.  How do I get them trimmed?
Southern California Edison is responsible for trimming tree branches that can potentially harm power lines.  These service request may be reported to SCE by calling (800) 655-4555 or at the SCE website

How do I obtain information about a power outage in my neighborhood?
Please contact SCE for information pertaining to power outages, or visit their outage center website at This site contains information about planned and unplanned outages.

Street Maintenance

How do I report a dead animal?
Effective November 1, 2016, the City of Westminster is the City’s new provider for animal control services. Please contact the City of Westminster at (714) 548-3201 for report a dead animal.  

How do I report graffiti?
If you see graffiti in the City of Stanton, please call the Graffiti Hotline at 890-4252 Option 2. The graffiti on City property will then be removed by City staff usually within 48 hours. Graffiti on private property is the responsibility of the property owner and will not be removed by City staff. If you see an act of graffiti being done, please report it to the Stanton Sheriff’s Department at 647-7000. Graffiti may also be reported via e-mail by sending your requests to

How do I report graffiti on streetlight poles and electrical pedestals on the street?
Southern California Edison (SCE) will remove all graffiti on SCE facilities and property. These may be reported by calling their graffiti hotline at (866) 421-4688 or via e-mail at

How do I get a tree in front of my residence trimmed/removed?
A request to remove a City tree or have one trimmed will be considered for approval at the discretion of the City Arborist.  Criteria for removal of a tree may include a tree that is determined to be dead, dying, or can potentially fall over.  All requests will be reviewed prior to a decision being made. Due to recent financial cutbacks, the City is limited to the amount of tree requests that can be completed. These requests can be made by calling the Public Works Department at 890-4205.

When will my street be resurfaced?
The roads that paved are prioritized in the City’s Pavement Management Plan, which ranks the current condition of all the roadways. The City uses this tool, taking into consideration current budget, type of use, and amount of average daily traffic flow on the roadways to determine the roadways to be repaved each year.

What is Slurry Seal?
Slurry Seal is a mixture of asphaltic oil, water, fine crushed rock and sand. It is a preventative maintenance procedure designed to extend the life of existing streets. It helps to maintain the integrity of the roadway by filling surface cracks and voids and also creating a seal to protect it from water damage.

How often does the street sweeper come into my neighborhood?
The City sweeps residential streets weekly based on an established street sweeping schedule. Arterial streets are also swept weekly. Holiday street sweeping schedule: If the holiday falls on a Saturday the preceding Friday shall be observed as a holiday. When a holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday shall be observed as a holiday, except for Christmas Eve which will always be the day before the observed Christmas holiday. If there is heavy or steady rain, street sweeping may be canceled. If you would like to report a problem with street sweeping in your neighborhood, please contact the City of Stanton Public Works at 890-4205.

Street Sweeping Map

Can I park after the Sweeper has swept the street?
No. You cannot park at any time during the posted period or you will receive a parking citation. All residential tracts have signs at each entrance and exit. These signs prohibit parking on street sweeping days. Please read the sign for your tract carefully to avoid a parking ticket.

How do I fix standing water in the gutter?
The City does not currently have a program for the repair of individual curbs and gutters. Severe locations are included in the City’s Capital Improvement Program and are addressed when the street is repaved. Homeowners may hire a licensed contractor to make repairs at the homeowner's expense. A Public Works Encroachment permit will be required.

What is a Pavement Moratorium?
The City of Stanton Public Works Department has established a 5-year Street Pavement Moratorium to manage the pavement degradation from the effects of trenching on public roadways. The Pavement Moratorium protects our capital investment in streets, the street pavement integrity, ride quality, and appearance of the newly paved surfaces. 

What do I do if I see someone discharging concrete, paint, plaster, or other material into the gutter?
The only permitted discharge into a gutter is storm water. The release of concrete, paint, plaster or other materials is not permitted and is a violation of the City's water quality ordinance. Anyone who is found illegally discharging into the storm drain system may be fined under this ordinance. If you observe someone illegally discharging these types of materials, or any thing else besides storm-water into a gutter or catch basin, please call the Department of Public Works at 890-4204 during normal business hours, or call the Stanton Sheriff's Department at 647-7000.

Trash Pick-Up

Who is responsible for trash pickup in the City of Stanton?
The City of Stanton contracts out trash pickup with CR&R disposal. Trash pickup occurs once every week. To find out the pickup schedule for your neighborhood please call CR&R at 826-9049 or the Public Works Department at 890-4205.

Trash Pick up Schedule

What do I do if I need to dispose of a couch, mattress, or other large item?
CR&R offers residents two bulk pick-ups per year. If you have any questions regarding bulk pick-ups or would like to schedule one, please call CR&R at 826-9049. If you see anyone dumping a bulk item in a street or alley, please call the Stanton Sheriff's Department at (714) 647-7000. Illegal dumping is against the City's Municipal Code and may subject the individual to penalties and/or out-of-pocket costs to reimburse public agencies for clean-up and enforcement efforts. The City will not pick up and dispose of items from private residences.

What do I do if I see a couch, mattress, or other large item in the public right of way?
CR&R offers a service to pick-up and dispose of these items within 48 hours. Please contact CR&R at 826-9049 Ext 2258 to report these items. The City does not pick up items that were illegally dumped in the public right-of-way.

Who do I call to pick up bulk debris and abate graffiti in the rail road property?
The City does not pick up items or clean graffiti in the rail road right-of-way. These areas are owned and maintained by Union Pacific. Please contact them at (626) 935-7617 for questions pertaining to the rail road property.

Public Works/Engineering Contacts

  • Public Works/Engineering 890-4205
  • Graffiti Hotline 890-4252 #2
  • Report Polluters
  • Shopping Cart Retrieval Hotline (800)252-4613

Utility Contacts

  • Golden State Water Company (800) 999-4033
  • Southern California Edison (800) 655-4555
  • Southern California Gas (800) 427-2200
  • Time Warner Cable (888) 892-2253
  • ATT (800) 310-2355
  • Verizon (800) 483-5000